After buying about 10kg of bananas at the Queen Victoria market for 5$, I decided to get creative and find out just how versatile the fruit could be.
I usually use it as a thickener and sweetener in overnight oats and pancakes, but I thought why not try to make granola bars, a on-the-go version of the former.
Packed with toasted coconut, sunflower & chia seeds, oats, cinnamon and banana, this granola bar will remind you of our favourite banana bread!
Ingredients (Makes 5 servings):
- 1 large banana
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 2 tbsp. toasted desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, mash banana.
- Add melted coconut oil and cinnamon and combine.
- Add the oats, toasted coconut, chia seeds and sunflower seeds.
- Press mix into loaf pan.
- Bake for 20-30 min until the edges are golden brown and the top is crispy.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Section the bars into 5 equal portions*.
*I like my granola bars crispy and crunchy so I put them back in the warm oven after I’ve portioned them out approximately 10 mins.
Nutritional values calculated using Myfitnesspal.com