Summer’s just around the corner and all I’m thinking about is ice cream.
I decided to make a vegan ice cream using coconut milk as a base and adding turmeric and complementary flavours that I love! Turmeric has been used for thousands of years for its medicinal qualities, hence its title as a superfood nowadays. I also decided to go the extra mile and make the ice cream cones myself. I flavoured them with coriander to get a nice sweet citrus flavour.
Here are the recipes:
Orange Turmeric Chai Ice Cream (makes 7-8 servings)
- 2 (400 ml) cans coconut coconut milk*
- 2 tbsp dried coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar or alternative (agave nectar or maple syrup)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp chai powder**
*Or use coconut cream, removing the dry coconut milk
**Chai powder recipe at the end of the blogpost
- In a pot, add all ingredients and allow to steep for 15 min, on low heat.
- Chill the ice cream base overnight for maximal flavour.
- Churn ice cream following instructions on ice cream machine.
- Place in freezer-safe container and freeze for 4h until hardened.
- Serve and enjoy!
Coriander Cones (makes 5 cones)
- 3 tbsp aquafaba
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, ground
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. cold water (optional)
- Preheat oven to 380F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk aquafaba and sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the vanilla, ground coriander, salt, coconut oil.
- Incorporate the flour, adjusting with cold water if it gets too thick. The consistency you’re looking for is between a crepe and a pancake batter.
- Place a silpat mat on a baking sheet and dollop 1 1/2-2 tbsp. batter. Spread into 20 cm diameter circles.
- Bake 5-8 min until edges are browned (the centre will remain light, and that’s fine).
- Quickly, remove from pan with spatula and form cone*. The dough will harder very quickly, so focus on the bottom of the cone. If it hardens a little, place back in the oven for 1 minute.
- Allow to cool.
*I used aluminum foil to create a makeshift cone shape to ease this process.
- 1 tsp. cardamom, ground
- 1. tsp. allspice, ground
- 1 tsp. clove, ground
- 2 tsp. cinnamon, ground
- 3 tsp. ginger, ground
- Mix all ingredients together.