With Valentine’s day just around the corner all food is either pink or red. So here’s my addition to the trend!
Beetroot Tortellini with Pear, Rosemary and Goat Cheese
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2-4 tsp beet juice*
- 300g goat cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tbsp pear honey** or pear jam/jelly
- ¾ tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- In large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Create a well in the dry mix and add in eggs.
- Incorporate enough beet juice to obtain a cohesive and soft dough.
- Knead the dough on floured surface until it becomes firm and elastic.
- Saran-wrap and refrigerate for 20min minimum.
- Combine goat cheese, pear honey and rosemary together.
- Incorporate milk to obtain a soft consistency (similar to mashed potatoes).
- Taste and adjust if required.
- Place in piping bag.
- Divide dough in 2 and run through pasta machine (the thinner the better, there will be 2 layer of pasta surrounding the filling). I usually go down to 8 on my pasta machine.
- Place sheet of pasta on floured surface. Cut out large circles of dough (can use a ring or a large glass).
- Place 1tbsp of filling onto center of the pasta. Moisten the dough slightly with water before folding in half to obtain a half-circle and seal.
- Moisten the edges of the pasta and link them together.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (make sure to salt your water).
- Add tortellini, and stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
- They are ready when they float to the surface.
- Place tortellini on a sheet tray and freeze.
- Transfer to freezer-safe container.
- Can be frozen up 2 months.
* For the pear honey
Derived from boiling grated pears in water and sugar, sieving the liquid overnight then adding gelatin.
**For beet juice
Collect the red boiling liquid when cooking beets. Make sure the pigment is concentrated (you may have to reduce the liquid).
I hope you enjoy this recipe!