It’s the end of spring which means that artichokes can be found at the market as they peak in spring, but can still be harvested in the summer.
Here’s a great recipe for an easy artichoke recipe, which demands no cutting or crazy waste of the vegetable!
I also included a simple gremolata recipe with it as I think parsley and citrus are great pairings with the vegetable. For the salt and fat, a sprinkle of Parmesan was added just at the end of the cooking and broiled.
Ingredients per artichoke:
- 1 artichoke
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Break off stem from artichokes and pull the petals to open it up a little bit.
- Use knife to make an incision in the heart and inset the whole clove of garlic.
- Drizzle olive oil and rub onto and in between layers of the artichoke.
- Season lightly (the parmesan is salty).
- Wrap in aluminum foil and bake for 1h15 (though time may vary depending on size).
- Unwrap the artichoke and sprinkle grated parmesan overtop.
- Broil until parmesan melted or golden.
- 1 1/2 cups packed parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 lemons (just the zest)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- Mince the garlic and use a microplane to zest the lemons (alternatively, you can cut the zest off and chop it finely).
- Finely chop the parsley.
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Season accordingly.
Serve the artichoke immediately and top with sprinkles of the gremolata.